Welcome to the Community Safety section of the Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service.
The main focus of this department is on Fire Safety Education, as prevention is key to saving lives. Every year, over four hundred people lose their lives due to fires that occur within their homes, often caused by accidents or omissions that could have been avoided. Through our experience, we have learned that implementing proper fire safety measures significantly reduces the likelihood of accidental fires. In the unfortunate event of a fire, these measures greatly increase the chances of survival.
In addition to fire safety education and advice for people within their homes, this department also works within the community to give support and guidance in the following areas.
- Fire Safety Education
- Arson Prevention Strategies, including the young people
- Firesetters scheme and health schools program
- Home Fire Safety Checks (domestic)
- Fire Safety Awareness in residential care homes
We achieved the above by:
- Conducting visits to different premises to provide advice and install smoke alarms
- Delivering presentations to various groups and organizations
- Organizing fire safety demonstrations and displays
- Visiting schools to educate students about fire safety through a dedicated program
- Responding to all inquiries from members of the public seeking advice on fire safety-related matters.